Monday, December 19, 2011

...happy holidays to all!

it has been a busy fall and beginning of winter. I have been delving into the world of fiber. A couple of fellow vendors at the Culver Market this summer turned me onto spinning with a spindle. Xenia and Felicia have wonderful alpaca fiber. I had never been exposed to the wonder of farm fresh fiber, it is WONDERFUL!! Well, the ladies were spinning away on their drop spindles, and curiousity got the better of me, and before I knew it, I purchased "Respect the Spindle" recommended reading for learning about drop spinning, and off I went. I'm really enjoying spinning...but...as is my customary way...I couldn't stop there....yep...before I knew it I was offered an opportunity to actually have my own alpacas....I'm not kidding, a friend from high school had 2 left from her herd of 32 that she was looking for a home...now, this is the only time I've every been asked about alpacas, sure someone has a dog, a cat, a bird, maybe a bunny...but alpaca??? YOU BET!!! I'm in!!!
You may ask...Brenda, I didn't realize you live on a farm? I don't. I'm located smack dab in the middle of Valpo....Unfortunately, a windy day occurred, and my fence installation skills are lacking and well, a fence panel fell down...my "boys" then decided it was time to take a walk...what could have been a terrible incident ended up being an adventure for not only the alpaca, the police, but also the neighborhood. Everyone was extremely kind in rounding up the boys and now they are located with a foster family, still in town, but with the legitimate acreage!...what a hoot. you are now caught up with the story of "what has Brenda been doing with herself"! 
Christmas break is almost upon us, with the time off from driving bus, I am hoping to build a spinning wheel for myself. I seem to love a new experience!
Happy Holidays, and
Smiles to All,
Brenda

No comments:

Post a Comment