So, last weekend I decided I was going to learn how to make a wig for my dolls. The actual plan was to drive down to Indy and join the doll makers there so that I could have a group...but...Saturday morning rolled around and it was snowy out, and cold, and brrrrr..bed versus drive..huh, no contest, I snuggled on in! But, that being said, a wig was the goal, so I forged ahead with the Internet and youtube videos. First, I wrapped the head in saran wrap, really tightly then, I modge podged some gauzy material over the head...let it dry
Here she is in her little babushka waiting for the glue to dry. Everything I read, said use glue, but I was running low and had plenty of the mod podge...so I used that instead. It seems to have worked just fine, although the cap may have a bit more give or plasticity to it than had I used tacky glue.
After the glue dried, I trace around the gauze, cutting out the hairline and the ears. I think this gauze worked really nicely as it is really snug to the head.
Once I had the skull cap all cut out, I covered the head with plastic again and laid a glue line on the base of the skull cap at the nape of the neck. I used Instant Grrrip glue which I get fromDollMakers Journey. (by the way, check them out for your doll making supplies, they are a wonderful team)
Then, I just continued around the head, adding locks of fiber. I am fairly certain that this is Moreno, but shucks, I really don't have a clue, I picked up a bag of dyed locks at the fiber fest this summer and through it in my stash.
At this point in the process, and well, a few rows before, I kept thinking, dang, I really like how this is turning out, but it is such a shame that this dolls face isn't completed. Now mind you, this thought kept running through my head while the rows of glue were drying...so it had to be at least an hour. Hmmm, this hair is going to get in the way when I paint her eyes in. Hmmm I guess I'll have to wrap her hair in plastic so I can contour her flesh for more dimension.... hmmm, hmmm hmmm.